Former Supreme Court of Appeal Chief Prosecutor said that former officers were being detained based on groundless claim under Ergenekon probe
Commenting yesterday on the Ergenekon probe, former Supreme Court of Appeal Chief Prosecutor Sabih Kanadoðlu, whose house was searched under the probe, said that distinguished civilians and former officers who had served the state for many years in high-level positions were being detained based on groundless claims.
Kanadoglu said that he was concerned that basing the probe on such shaky grounds undermined it. Saying that there is in fact an illegal organization within the state, Kanadoðlu added that a better, non-politically motivated investigation is needed to expose it. Citing the Susurluk case of the late 1990s, before he retired, Kanadoglu said had been unable to expose illegal organizations within the state due to obstruction by politicians, their immunity from prosecution, and their protection for suspected bureaucrats.
He also urged the government not to interfere in the ongoing Ergenekon probe, criticizing what he claimed was illegal phone taps under the probe. In related news, foreign media reports on the probe are focusing on rising political tension due to the recent detentions, expressing concern that this tension could harm Turkey's political stability.
Source: Milliyet (Turkey), January 15, 2009