Deep Gender Gap In Turkey
According to the newly released World Economic Forum’s 2007 Global Gender Gap index, Turkey is ranked at 121 out of 128 countries. The report aimed at capturing the magnitude of the gap between women and men in the areas of economic participation and opportunity, educational attainment, health and survival and political empowerment.
“Turkey continues to rank well below the lowest ranking European countries and displays below average performance on all four sub indexes. The lowest score was in the area of economic participation and opportunity that measures participation in leadership professions such as legislators, senior officials and managers. Turkish women fill only 7 percent of top tier management positions while men hold the remaining 93 percent of the pie. Turkey scored an extremely low 0.08 in inequality when compared to the world average of 0.26. This means that there are 8 Turkish women leaders for every 100 Turkish male leaders.
Turkish women faired better in the area of education, with above-world average scores. In literacy, the female-to-male ratio was 0.84, enrolment in primary education 0.95, enrolment in secondary education 0.75 and enrolment in tertiary education 0.73.
Source: Turkish Daily News, November 10, 2007
Read full entry